One Hour A Week Can Change A Life
If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers now more than ever. RSVP is one of the largest volunteer networks in the nation for people 55 and over. As a volunteer one can use the skills and talents they’ve learned over the years, or develop new ones while serving in a variety of volunteer activities within Kay County. When we unite our efforts lives are improved.
There is no shortage of ways volunteers can help make a difference. The greatest thing about volunteering may be the benefits it offers to individual recipients, their communities, and the volunteers themselves. There are a number of service opportunities. Many service areas are just one hour a week. You may not think you have much to give but the little you do have to give can mean the world to someone who just needs a friendly face and to know someone cares. One recipient of a ramp said, “To some it might be just a few boards to me is it freedom.”
There are over 30 locations in need of volunteers.
Some volunteer opportunities include:
- Helping a third grade student read at grade level or being retained and never catching up later in their education.
- Delivering meals to shut-ins (Substitutes drivers are desperately needed). One out of every ten of our elderly in Kay County are at risk for hunger.
- Providing activities at local senior centers and assisted living facilities.
- Building ramps to ensure safety and provide better access to community resources.
- Assist victims with securing local resources after they have experienced natural disasters such as fires, tornadoes and flooding.
- Helping transport someone to local and out of the area doctor’s appointments.
The Retired Senior Volunteer Program of Kay County is sponsored locally by United Way of Ponca City. It is partially funded through a grant from the Corporation for National & Community Service; local funding through other grants and donations are used for programing and projects.
When you help support the efforts of United Way of Ponca City, more resources can be brought to those most in need. It only takes a hour a week to meet a real need in our community. Please help the efforts of RSVP of Kay County as we unite under the Umbrella of Care for residents of Kay County. Choose a donation of your time, talents and/or funding to RSVP of Kay County 445 Fairview Ave. Ponca City, OK 74601. We can be reached at 580-762-9214 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org